“Would you be prepared to pay more for local policing?” That’s the question Police and Crime Commissioner, Philip Wilkinson is asking those who live in Wiltshire as part of his consultation encouraging the public to use their voice and influence the policing priorities he sets for Wiltshire Police.
In addition to producing a Police and Crime Plan for the county which will set policing and crime priorities until 2025, the PCC is also responsible for setting the policing precept ahead of each financial year.
The Police and Crime Commissioner’s overall budget is made up of 50% funding from central Government, and 50% from local council tax. Last year, public support for an increase in the policing element of the council tax drove the recruitment of new officers and added additional capacity in neighbourhood policing, roads safety, and cyber crime to name but a few.
The policing precept which is collected with your council tax goes directly to the Police and Crime Commissioner, where 98% is allocated to the Chief Constable and the remaining 2% to the PCCs office for commissioned services which includes supporting victims of crime and early intervention.
The average household (Band D) currently pays £231 and as part of the survey, you are being asked whether you would support an increase, and if so how much.
PCC Philip Wilkinson said: “I have made no decisions yet on whether there will an increase next year or not, but have decided to ask the question earlier than usual to ensure that when I need to make the decision, I have a clear understanding of public feeling.
“It’s important that any proposed increase to the policing precept is also guided by my new Police and Crime Plan which will be directly influenced by the priorities outlined by the public.
“This consultation is the chance for every resident to have a say in what is important to them.
“It is terribly important that all our communities get a say and a chance to use their voice for good. Don’t think that I don’t want to hear your views – if it matters to you, it matters to me.”
You can complete the survey, which is open until 22nd November, online.
If you are having trouble accessing the online survey or need this in an alternative format or language, please contact the OPCC. The survey is also available in paper format on request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any requests. You can also email your thoughts around policing priorities to the same email address.
Campaign and Communications Manager
Wiltshire and Swindon OPCC